One of the latest services I stumbled upon is the Cosume Project.
The team is trying to crowdfund the project now, and they are plenty of good ideas.
Their motto is to “help people consume less new stuff” with the help of friends and social networks you already use.
Here’s a quick overview of how the application is going to work when you want to buy a thing :
- Use your smartphone or computer to upload information about the thing
- The CoSume Project will tell your selected networks of friends via Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or whatever you like. (This is important; this is something for you and your close friends – people you trust and share your everyday life with, away from keyboard).
then one of these three things will happen:
- Your friends says “Don’t buy it. You can get one from me” or “Borrow one from me because I’m not using it anyway.”
- Your friends says it’s a no-go because of quality, ethics or simply “MAN! You don’t really need that.”
- You can buy it together with your friends. Why should each and every one of you buy the same board game if you can buy one and share it? (it’s probably the same group that you’re gonna play the board game with anyway)